This week's devotional is from Pastor Jeff Mazzariello.
ENCOUNTER: Read Colossians 1:1,2
"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To God’s holy people in Colossae, the faithful brothers and sisters in Christ: Grace and peace to you from God our Father”
It’s going to be fun to study this book of Colossians all summer long, and we are going to get a ton of great stuff out of it. But don’t miss that right off the bat Paul has a basic message to communicate to the Colossian church that kind of frames everything he wants to say to them in the rest of the book.
1. He wants to remind them who they are: God’s Holy (dedicated) and faithful people. Dedicated to a live lived totally for him, and faithful to that life through thick and thin.
2. He wants to remind them what they need: Grace and Peace. The unmerited favor of God with the result being peace with God and peace within themselves.
If this is Paul’s way of kicking off his letter to them, we should pause before we fly into the “meat” of the book, and ask ourselves if we have fully grasped (and implemented) these foundational truths about being God’s people. Here are some questions for reflection and prayer:
- Have I dedicated myself to the primary task of walking with God and being dedicated to serving him in all of my life?
- Would I describe myself as “faithful” to living that way? If not, why not? If I was honest, what stands in my way of being described that way?
- Do I walk in “grace?” Have I settled the issue that I am surrendering my life to Jesus as Lord, and therefore receiving from him all grace and mercy that my soul needs? Do I need to accept his grace for me and simply turn away from anything today that is keeping me from God, confessing my sin and receiving his forgiveness?
- Does “peace” characterize my daily life? Do my thoughts, actions, loving and serving all come from a place of deep rest and peace? Paul told the church that they needed God’s peace. Why? How would receiving God’s peace honor God? Why would that be the way to live?
BE A BLESSING:
Is there an act of love that God has been prompting you about lately that you need to finally be faithful to? Is there someone that needs your touch, your encouragement, your affirmation, your gratitude, your help, your prayer, or your blessing? And yet you haven’t quite brought yourself to follow through? Can you be dedicated and faithful to acting on that today.
We hope you are able to be a part of studying Colossians with us this summer! Join in on the daily reading plan that we are all doing together. You can download the PDF by clicking here.
And as you read and reflect on God’s word, pray for your brothers and sisters in the faith who are seeking God’s truth together in Colossians this summer!